Mission Statement:

Strong Communities are Built on Strong Families.
Strong Families are Built on True Principles.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Day Eleven - Turn Off Technology & READ!

Yesterday I asked the superintendent of another school district, his assistant superintendent, and a history teacher from their school district, "If you had a magic wand and would have the parents of the students in your district do ONE thing, what would it be?"  They answered unanimously, "READ with their KIDS!"

I asked them, "So do YOU read with YOUR kids?" and they answered affirmatively.  "What about with your older kids?" I asked.  I continued, "Is there a time when your kids start to feel that they are 'too old' or 'too cool' to read with you?"

The superintendent replied, "It's all about priorities.  It (reading with their children) was always something that my wife and I just DID!"

His assistant added, "Of course, with your older kids, it helps to have a really good book that they are interested in to read together.  And sometimes we ended up just talking to each other about things instead of reading the book we were reading."

The history teacher interjected, "Yeah!  It's not just about reading a book.  It's about spending time with my kids."

So Morgan County parents, there's the "magic wand wish" from the leaders and a teacher of another school district.  I wonder if our own school district leaders and teachers would come up with the same wish?!

Blog-in next time for Day Twelve!

No comments:

Post a Comment